Monday, June 16, 2008

Prayer for Today

What a difference one year really makes. Last year at this time, we were scared, nervous, worried, and ultimately mourning about our friends situation. I am talking about the Carr Family. For those of you who have not read his blog, you should take a look here. Today marks the one year anniversary of Wendy's death. We have known Matt and Wendy for about 10 years. If my memory is right, they even got married right around the same week as we did. We were involved in the same college ministry, went to the same newlywed Sunday school class, then the same young married class when we were both pregnant with our girls at the same time. They changed churches and we only then "kept up" with them through other friends or when we would run into them around town. However, when we heard what had happened to Wendy, we were devastated. At that time, their kids were 4 years old and 2 1/2 weeks old. I could not wrap my mind around that thought. I spent most of the week just crying when I thought about Matt and their kids. All week, Hannah kept asking what was wrong. Of course I tried to be discrete, but it just was not happening. We had told Hannah all week that Ms. Wendy was very sick. We prayed about it and finally decided to tell Hannah that Ms. Wendy was now with Jesus. I think it hit home so much because our girls were just a few weeks apart and we had known them for so long. This was Hannah's first experience with death. She had so many questions which again made me so sad because I knew that L, Matt's little girl had to have the same or even more questions. Hannah did really well and every night was diligent about praying for L and M, L's little brother. One day when we were driving, out of the blue Hannah said, "Mom, I bet when L sees you that it makes her sad". I asked "why". Then she broke my heart when she answered. She said "because I bet it makes her think that you are her mommy because she misses her mommy". In four year old terms, I knew what she meant. I knew that she meant that seeing other kids with their moms makes her think/wish she had her mom back. There were other times where she just amazed us with her words. One day she said, "I know that everyone is sad about Ms. Wendy, but we should be happy that Ms. Wendy is with Jesus now and her heart is healed". It was BIG at our house. Hannah and Logan, even though he did not understand, talked about it a lot. Again it just made me think of their family. I just thought about how Hannah would be a different little girl if I were gone or if Jason were gone. It did not make me fear death because I would be with the Lord, but it made me worry about the emotional state of our kids if that were to happen. Tragic events change who people are, in my opinion, ALWAYS. It was and still is a very sad situation, however the Lord has placed those two kids with a wonderful dad who seeks the Lord for every step of his day. The family is also surrounded by an amazing support group of family and friends. It has been a testimony of the strength of people praying when we see them at school or around town. Today as you go about your day, remember to pry for them. The Lord continues to use this situation as His people continue to pray!

No comments: